In-laws, including 4 women, get life term for burning woman
New Delhi: Five members of a family,
including four women, have been sentenced to life term by a
Delhi court for burning alive the family`s daughter-in-law
after a quarrel on a petty issue.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Aggarwal awarded
life imprisonment to convicts relying on the dying declaration
of victim Anuradha, who was set afire by her in-laws in
September 2007 after a quarrel on the issue of fixing an iron
grill in the house.
"There is no reason to discard the dying declaration
as no contrary evidence has been brought on record by the
defence to show why the deceased would falsely implicate the
"Rather there was a strong motive on the part
of the accused persons to eliminate the deceased as she was
not obeying their commands," the court said, while convicting
The people who were convicted included victim`s
sisters-in-law -- Arti and Poonam-- and mother-in-law Jamuna,
besides the latter`s sister Babli and her husband Baljeet
Verma, all Madipur residents of West Delhi.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 3,000 on each of
the convicts. The victim had also named her father-in-law in
the dying declaration, but he died during the trial.
The victim`s husband had deposed that he had been
living in his father`s house along with his wife and two
minor children, but he had some differences with his father,
who wanted him to move out.
The prosecution told the court that the victim was set
ablaze as she wanted to put an iron grill to segregate the
part of the house in which she was living along with her
husband and children from the section occupied by her in-laws.
After the incident, the victim was rushed to
Safdarjung Hospital where she succumbed to her burns a day
The convicts pleaded innocence, contending that they
were falsely implicated in the case.
The defence counsel questioned the victim`s dying
declaration saying that there was no independent corroboration
of the statement.
He also pointed out that as per the medical records of
the deceased, she was suffering from 100 percent burns on her
hands and feet and therefore it was impossible for her
to sign her dying declaration.
The court, however, rejected the defence contention
saying that the victim was fit to make dying declaration.
"As per post mortem report, it is not reported that
the internal organs of the deceased had been damaged due to
singing on receiving the burn injuries. Therefore, it shows
that the brain of the deceased was in proper condition,
therefore, she was in a fit condition to make dying
declaration," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?