New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Monday, in a reply to the Election Commission (EC) said that it has not taken a decision on providing Rs five lakh compensation to the next of kin of the 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims and has thus not violated the Model Code of Conduct.
The Narendra Modi-led NDA government last week had made the announcement. A day after, the EC had sought explanation from the Home Ministry and had asked it to reply by November three.
Responding to the letter, the ministry clarified today that it has not taken a decision and have not formally announced it.
As the deadline ended this evening for the MHA to respond to the EC's letter, the ministry made its stand clear on the issue.
The ministry told the poll body the it has not violated the MCC, EC sources said.
Earlier, in the letter, the EC had noted that the Model Code of Conduct is in force in Delhi where by-polls are to be held to three Assembly seats -- Krishna Nagar, Mehrauli and Tughlaqabad -- on November 25.
These seats fell vacant after the MLAs were elected to the Lok Sabha in general elections in May.
It may be recalled that the Government had expressed its intention to give Rs five lakh each to the next of kin of 3,325 victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots triggered after assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Of the 3,325 victims, 2,733 were killed in Delhi alone while rest of the victims were from Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and other states.
With Agency inputs