India can`t let down elected people in Northern Province: Khurshid
New Delhi: India on Monday kept up the suspense on whether Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will attend the CHOGM in Sri Lanka next month and at the same time said "we must stand by the elected people in that country`s Northern Province".
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the "Prime Minister has not taken a call but I will attend the meeting and the Foriegn Secretary will also attend the Foreign Secretaries segment."
He told reporters here that Tamilians in the Northern province had great expectations from India and it was India`s duty to stand by them.
"We owe something to the elected people in the Northern province of Sri Lanka. We fought and we pushed for an election to take place," he said.
"For the first time in 30 years, elections have taken place and there is a Chief Minister. We cannot let them down...We must stand by them. We must help them achieve what they have been elected to achieve," the Minister said.
As political parties in Tamil Nadu opposed the Prime Minister`s participation in the Commonwealth Summit, he said the parties in the southern state must also take into account what Tamilians in the Northen provinces say.
"They just cannot be blind themselves about the ground reality that Tamilians there have an elected government in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars