India elected VC of association of Asian election
New Delhi: India has been unanimously elected
as the vice-chairman of Association of Asian Election
Authorities (AAEA), an organisation conceived to promote and
institutionalise open and transparent elections in Asian
countries, at its general assembly held in Seoul on Thursday.
The meeting also agreed on the necessity of establishing
an Association of World Election Bodies.
"The name of Chief Election Commissioner of India, SY
Qureshi, was proposed as Vice Chair by the Chief Election
Commissioner of Bhutan and received enthusiastic support from
other member countries," a statement issued by the Election
Commission said here.
India takes over this responsibility from the Republic of
Korea, which becomes the chairman for a three-year term. India
is a founder member of this 17-member Association.
Qureshi is accompanied by Akshay Rout, Director General
at the Election Commission of India, at the meet.
Before the meeting began, Qureshi led the other members
in thanking the outgoing chair Taiwan.
Several regional associations of National Election
Authorities and observers from election management bodies of
other continents also attended the AAEA general assembly.
The Asian Election Authorities at the meeting agreed on
the necessity of establishing an Association of World Election
Bodies, and decided to set up a working group to implement
The interim name of this association has been decided as
Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB), following a
suggestion of Qureshi.
The working group will deliberate on the shape, vision,
structural organisation and work plan of the proposed A-WEB.
It will also contact other regional associations of
election management bodies and individual election authorities
to facilitate early constitution of A-WEB.
The AAEA was conceived to promote and institutionalise
open and transparent elections, independent and impartial
election authorities, professionalising Asian election
authorities, citizen participation in the electoral and civic
process, information sharing, and the development of resources
for election-related information and research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa