India to deploy marine commandos in Sir Creek
New Delhi: India will deploy an elite unit
of BSF `marine` commandos to keep a vigil on infiltration
from the Sir Creek area in Kutch along the Indo-Pakistan
The Marine unit will specifically be deployed along
the `Harami Nala` area in Sir Creek which is a marshy,
sluggish and shallow water channel, spread over 500 sq km in
Kutch, a senior BSF officer said.
The area has in the past witnessed many violations by
The marshy topography of the area makes it difficult
for troops to react swiftly against infiltration and incidents
of smuggling through this area.
The Union Home Ministry recently approved a
budgetary sanction of Rs 44 crore to raise a unit of the BSF.
The marine unit, first-ever in a paramilitary
organisation, will be trained to undertake amphibious (both
land and water) operations and will possess special swimming
and diving skills to operate in this area.
They will also be equipped with weapons and logistics
required to operate in such areas.
"The deployment of the marine unit will take place
once the training of the personnel is complete. These
personnel will undertake patrolling along the `harami nala`
stretch on power boats," the BSF officer said.
It is also proposed to impart specialised training to
these personnel from the Indian Navy and a full battalion
(about 1,000 personnel) will subsequently be raised within the
force, the officer said.
Pakistani fishermen cross into the Indian side along
the `Harami Nala` during high tide in order to catch fish and
at times they are found not indulging in any illegal activity.
But keeping vigil along this area is a challenging job, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark