`Inefficient` data: No supplies to 1 lakh ration card holders
New Delhi: Over one lakh ration card
holders are not getting their due supplies because of faulty
database entries in the computers of Delhi Government which
the Central Information Commission described as "scandalous".
The figures given by the food and civil supplies
department before the Commission show that 44,172 ration card
holders have not been given any given rations because their
details were not entered in the database of the Government.
"The respondent (Food and Civil Supplies department)
states that this has happened because the computer systems are
not working properly and connectivity is unreliable and
"...The respondents also informed the Commission that a
large number of card holders (around 70,000) in the category
of un-reviewed cards are also suffering because of inefficient
operation of computer systems," Information Commissioner
Shailesh Gandhi pointed out in his order.
Gandhi directed the Food Commissioner to look into the
disenfranchisement of over one lakh families in Delhi because
of improper functioning of the computer systems according to
the respondents and provide action taken report before April
The case relates to RTI applicant Amlesh Gupta who
sought to know, through his application, action taken on the
complaint about the ration card holders who were not given
their due supplies despite having valid cards. But he was not
provided details from all the circles after which he reached
"It is scandalous that since computer systems and
connectivity is not proper 44,172 families in Delhi which
should get ration at a fixed price are unable to get them.
Government policies appear to be victim of a completely
inefficient computer system," Gandhi said.
The Commission also directed the system analyst to
provide the complete information about restoration of food
grain allocation to the 44,172 card holders to the appellant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!
- 7th Pay Commission: 23.5% hike in salaries, minimum pay increased to Rs 18,000 per month; arrears to be paid this year
- These MPs may become ministers if PM Modi goes in for Cabinet reshuffle - List Inside
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing