Initial green nod to Brutanga irrigation project in Orissa
New Delhi: Almost ten years after it was
conceived, Environment Ministry has given an initial clearance
to the Brutanga irrigation project in Orissa, for which
1524.17 hectares of forest land will have to be transferred.
Based on the recommendation of a forestry panel and also
in view of the fact that this is an irrigation project which
would benefit thousands of farmers in Orissa, the ministry has
accorded the stage I clearance to this project, Environment
Minister Jairam Ramesh said.
A reservoir scheme across river Brutang, the project
aims to provide irrigation to 31,110 hectares of gross command
area and 23,330 hectares of culturable command area of its
independent ayacut in Dasapalla, Khandapada, Odagaon and
Nayagarh blocks of Nayagarh district in Orissa.
The project had obtained clearance from the
Techno-Economic Appraisal Committee of the Central Water
Commission on December 18, 2000 but was placed before the
Forest Advisory Committee (FAC) in its meeting on August 20, a
day after which the Ministry had rejected Vedanta`s bauxite
mining project in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi