Install alarm system in all DTC buses: Delhi CM
New Delhi: Under attack for loopholes in regulation of public transport in the city, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Tuesday issued directions to install alarm system in all DTC buses so that women travelling on them can use the facility whenever in distress.
While reviewing the functioning of the Transport department at a meeting, Dikshit asked it to improve enforcement of various laws to ensure better regulation of public transport in the city.
"I have asked the Transport department to install alarm system in DTC buses," said Dikshit.
Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami said some of the low- floor DTC buses have the alarm system and now it will be installed in all the vehicles.
Delhi government is under pressure to improve safety of women in public transport in the wake of the December 16 gangrape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi, which triggered nation-wide outrage.
Earlier this month, Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna, expressing unhappiness over regulation of public transport by Delhi government, had asked it to take a series of steps like installing CCTV cameras and GPS devices onboard all public buses at the earliest.
Khanna has also asked the Government to issue Public Service Badges in the form of photo identity card to drivers of all types of public utility vehicles including government and private buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and radio taxis after proper verification and clearance by police.
The brutal gang-rape of the girl in a chartered bus, which was illegally plying, has brought to focus the failure of the government in keeping its long-pending promise of safe public transport system for women and children.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!