Iraqi man held for rape in Delhi
New Delhi: A 29-year-old Iraqi national was arrested for allegedly raping a woman friend here, police said on Saturday.
Saif Mohammed was arrested on Thursday for raping his neighbour, in her late 20s, in south Delhi`s Kalkaji area, police said.
When the victim, whom Mohammed had befriended and raped on the pretext of marriage, suspected that he was planning to leave Delhi, she approached police on Thursday, said a police official.
The accused was arrested after the victim`s medical report confirmed rape, police said.
Mohammed was pursuing MSc from Jamia Millia Islamia since 2011 and had been living in Delhi for a few years, police said.
"The woman was befriended by the accused one year ago. The accused raped the woman several times on the pretext of marriage," said a police officer, quoting the victim`s statement.
The officer said that for the last few months Mohammed was not paying much attention to the woman.
"When the victim came to know about his friendship with another woman, she questioned him on his relations with his new friend but did not get a clear reply," said the officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'