Irom Sharmila stopped from joining Hazare: Patkar
New Delhi: Manipur-based social activist
Irom Sharmila, who has been fasting against AFSPA for the last
ten years, will not be able to join Anna Hazare`s agitation
here as she has been prevented by authorities from doing so,
activists claimed on Wednesday.
"Sharmila will not be able to join us here at Ramlila
Maidan as she had desired. The authorities in her state did
not allow her," activist Medha Patkar announced to the
Assam based RTI activist Akhil Gogoi also seconded what
"Sharmila wanted to tell the country about her fight that
she has been undertaking against the Armed Forces Special
Powers Act by coming here. But she will not be able to do it
now," Gogoi SAID.
Gogoi is also a member of team Anna and India Against
Corruption (IAC) group.
He said Sharmila was invited by them and she had
expressed her solidarity to their movement against corruption
and bringing a strong Lokpal Bill and she also wanted to come
to Delhi to propagate her message.
Gogoi said he would now himself tell the people gathered
here about Sharmila`s struggle and other such issues plaguing
the northeast of the country.
Sharmila has been fasting since the year 2000 demanding
repeal of the AFSPA. She is confined to a hospital bed and is
being fed through a nasal tube for a long time now.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India