Irom Sharmila stopped from joining Hazare: Patkar
New Delhi: Manipur-based social activist
Irom Sharmila, who has been fasting against AFSPA for the last
ten years, will not be able to join Anna Hazare`s agitation
here as she has been prevented by authorities from doing so,
activists claimed on Wednesday.
"Sharmila will not be able to join us here at Ramlila
Maidan as she had desired. The authorities in her state did
not allow her," activist Medha Patkar announced to the
Assam based RTI activist Akhil Gogoi also seconded what
"Sharmila wanted to tell the country about her fight that
she has been undertaking against the Armed Forces Special
Powers Act by coming here. But she will not be able to do it
now," Gogoi SAID.
Gogoi is also a member of team Anna and India Against
Corruption (IAC) group.
He said Sharmila was invited by them and she had
expressed her solidarity to their movement against corruption
and bringing a strong Lokpal Bill and she also wanted to come
to Delhi to propagate her message.
Gogoi said he would now himself tell the people gathered
here about Sharmila`s struggle and other such issues plaguing
the northeast of the country.
Sharmila has been fasting since the year 2000 demanding
repeal of the AFSPA. She is confined to a hospital bed and is
being fed through a nasal tube for a long time now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate