Iron rod thrust into girl’s mouth for resisting rape
New Delhi: A teenaged Class 9 student fought off a rape bid in her own house here by an electricity contractor who thrust an iron rod into her throat to quell her cries for help.
The matter was reported on Tuesday and the police have arrested the accused.
The victim, 19, who was attacked around 8.30 pm Monday in south Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar, underwent a surgery in throat next morning and is said to be in a critical condition.
Anil Kumar, an electricity distribution contractor, tried to rape the victim finding her alone at her house.
"Kumar went to the victim`s home to collect monthly dues of the electricity. Finding her alone, he tried to rape her. He inserted an iron rod into her mouth when she was crying for help," said a police officer.
Hearing the victim`s cries some neighbours came to help her but Kumar managed to flee from the spot. He was later arrested from the house of his maternal uncle in Faridabad in Haryana, police said.
"The victim sustained severe injuries in her mouth and bruises on the neck due to the attempted strangulation," officer added.
Earlier, police had said that victim was a 24-year-old woman but clarified after some time that the victim was a teenager.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves