Iron rod thrust into girl’s mouth for resisting rape
New Delhi: A teenaged Class 9 student fought off a rape bid in her own house here by an electricity contractor who thrust an iron rod into her throat to quell her cries for help.
The matter was reported on Tuesday and the police have arrested the accused.
The victim, 19, who was attacked around 8.30 pm Monday in south Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar, underwent a surgery in throat next morning and is said to be in a critical condition.
Anil Kumar, an electricity distribution contractor, tried to rape the victim finding her alone at her house.
"Kumar went to the victim`s home to collect monthly dues of the electricity. Finding her alone, he tried to rape her. He inserted an iron rod into her mouth when she was crying for help," said a police officer.
Hearing the victim`s cries some neighbours came to help her but Kumar managed to flee from the spot. He was later arrested from the house of his maternal uncle in Faridabad in Haryana, police said.
"The victim sustained severe injuries in her mouth and bruises on the neck due to the attempted strangulation," officer added.
Earlier, police had said that victim was a 24-year-old woman but clarified after some time that the victim was a teenager.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them