Iron rod thrust into girl’s mouth for resisting rape
New Delhi: A teenaged Class 9 student fought off a rape bid in her own house here by an electricity contractor who thrust an iron rod into her throat to quell her cries for help.
The matter was reported on Tuesday and the police have arrested the accused.
The victim, 19, who was attacked around 8.30 pm Monday in south Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar, underwent a surgery in throat next morning and is said to be in a critical condition.
Anil Kumar, an electricity distribution contractor, tried to rape the victim finding her alone at her house.
"Kumar went to the victim`s home to collect monthly dues of the electricity. Finding her alone, he tried to rape her. He inserted an iron rod into her mouth when she was crying for help," said a police officer.
Hearing the victim`s cries some neighbours came to help her but Kumar managed to flee from the spot. He was later arrested from the house of his maternal uncle in Faridabad in Haryana, police said.
"The victim sustained severe injuries in her mouth and bruises on the neck due to the attempted strangulation," officer added.
Earlier, police had said that victim was a 24-year-old woman but clarified after some time that the victim was a teenager.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...