Ishrat row figures in Par committee; IB officer gets BJP backing
New Delhi: The controversy brewing over the role of Intelligence Bureau officer Rajendra Kumar in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter killing case in Gujarat figured in a Parliamentary committee meeting here on Tuesday as BJP members claimed all the four were Lashker-e-Taiba terrorists.
Addressing a meeting of the Consultative Committee for Home Ministry, BJP leaders Vinay Katiyar and Yogi Aditya Nath said targeting the IB Special Director was fraught with the danger of lowering the morale of sleuths who worked relentlessly to keep anti-national elements at bay.
The BJP leaders alleged Ishrat was a terrorist as her name had figured in the website of LeT and she was accompanying two known Pakistani terrorists when the encounter took place, an official who attended the meeting, said.
They said CBI`s reported move to arrest and prosecute Kumar would only hamper the fight against terrorists.
"Ishrat was a known terrorist. She went to Faizabad and was a member of LeT. The way the IB officer is being hounded, it will only hamper our fight against terrorists as tomorrow no intelligence officer will share information," Katiyar told a news agency.
The case pertains to killing of four people, including 19-year-old Ishrat from Mumbra, and the allegation is that the four were in detention of Gujarat Police before they were killed in a stage-managed encounter in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what