Ishrat row figures in Par committee; IB officer gets BJP backing
New Delhi: The controversy brewing over the role of Intelligence Bureau officer Rajendra Kumar in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter killing case in Gujarat figured in a Parliamentary committee meeting here on Tuesday as BJP members claimed all the four were Lashker-e-Taiba terrorists.
Addressing a meeting of the Consultative Committee for Home Ministry, BJP leaders Vinay Katiyar and Yogi Aditya Nath said targeting the IB Special Director was fraught with the danger of lowering the morale of sleuths who worked relentlessly to keep anti-national elements at bay.
The BJP leaders alleged Ishrat was a terrorist as her name had figured in the website of LeT and she was accompanying two known Pakistani terrorists when the encounter took place, an official who attended the meeting, said.
They said CBI`s reported move to arrest and prosecute Kumar would only hamper the fight against terrorists.
"Ishrat was a known terrorist. She went to Faizabad and was a member of LeT. The way the IB officer is being hounded, it will only hamper our fight against terrorists as tomorrow no intelligence officer will share information," Katiyar told a news agency.
The case pertains to killing of four people, including 19-year-old Ishrat from Mumbra, and the allegation is that the four were in detention of Gujarat Police before they were killed in a stage-managed encounter in 2004.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read