Ishrat row figures in Par committee; IB officer gets BJP backing
New Delhi: The controversy brewing over the role of Intelligence Bureau officer Rajendra Kumar in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter killing case in Gujarat figured in a Parliamentary committee meeting here on Tuesday as BJP members claimed all the four were Lashker-e-Taiba terrorists.
Addressing a meeting of the Consultative Committee for Home Ministry, BJP leaders Vinay Katiyar and Yogi Aditya Nath said targeting the IB Special Director was fraught with the danger of lowering the morale of sleuths who worked relentlessly to keep anti-national elements at bay.
The BJP leaders alleged Ishrat was a terrorist as her name had figured in the website of LeT and she was accompanying two known Pakistani terrorists when the encounter took place, an official who attended the meeting, said.
They said CBI`s reported move to arrest and prosecute Kumar would only hamper the fight against terrorists.
"Ishrat was a known terrorist. She went to Faizabad and was a member of LeT. The way the IB officer is being hounded, it will only hamper our fight against terrorists as tomorrow no intelligence officer will share information," Katiyar told a news agency.
The case pertains to killing of four people, including 19-year-old Ishrat from Mumbra, and the allegation is that the four were in detention of Gujarat Police before they were killed in a stage-managed encounter in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections