Israel conveys `seriousness` on diplomat attack issue to India
New Delhi: Maintaining that Iran was responsible for the attack on its diplomat here last year, Israel has conveyed its "seriousness" on the issue to India and the importance of bringing to justice those responsible for the incident.
Progress made by Indian investigators into the February 13, 2012 attack came up for discussion at the 8th meeting of the India-Israel Joint Working Group on Counter Terrorism Wednesday during which several other issues of mutual interest were also taken up.
"Naturally the issue was mentioned and we made very clear our seriousness over the issue and the importance that those responsible for the attack should be brought to justice," Ambassador Jeremy Issacharoff, DDG for Strategic Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told a press conference on Thursday.
He, however, refused to elaborate on whether India shared any details of its investigations into the issue saying the question has to be put before Indian authorities.
Issacharoff said Israel conveyed its concerns over Iran`s controversial nuclear programme, its attempts to produce missiles and the support Tehran has been giving to Syrian government during the talks with the Indian side led by Asoke Kumar Mukherji, special secretary in the External Affairs Ministry.
The Israeli diplomat said both sides presented their views on the situation in the region and though there were different views and perspectives, there was also "overlapping" of views.
The meeting took place after almost six years and both sides discussed terrorist threats in regional and global arenas as well as counter-terrorism measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger? - Part II
- European Central Bank scraps 500-euro note
- AgustaWestland probe will focus on names in Italy court judgement, says Manohar Parrikar
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain