Israeli diplomat attack case: Delhi Police team in Iran
New Delhi: A two-member Delhi Police team is in Iran to seek cooperation from its counterpart in the probe into the February 13 bombing of an Israeli embassy`s vehicle here in which a woman diplomat was seriously injured.
The team, cleared after an intense discussion between External Affairs Ministry and Delhi Police, has sought details about Houshang Afshar, alleged to be the bomber in the case, official sources said.
The sources said the External Affairs Ministry wanted some senior official to visit Tehran keeping in view the relations between the two countries, but Delhi Police stuck to its stand of sending the Deputy Commissioner of Police Sanjeev Yadav and Inspector Hriday Bhushan as they were the supervising and investigating officers respectively in the case.
Finally, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar had to step in and sort out the matter and Yadav and Bhushan were sent to Tehran along with the passport details of Afshar and other three Iranian nationals -- Masoud Sedaghatzadeh, Saeid Moradi and Mohammad Kharzei, the sources said.
The team was sent recently after Tehran conveyed its willingness to assist the Delhi Police in its probe after the alleged role of four Iranian nationals surfaced in the bombing that took place barely 500 metres from the high-security Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence.
Delhi Police has named Afshar as the main accused who had planted a bomb on the vehicle of Israeli diplomat Tal Yeshua on February 13 that left the diplomat injured.
The police team is also armed with the findings of the probe by Malaysian authorities, according to which Afshar, after fleeing from India on February 13, had taken a connecting flight to Tehran from Kaula Lumpur airport on the next day, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees