Israeli diplomat attack: Cops given time to get nod for Kazmi`s trial
New Delhi: The Delhi Police has been granted more time by a court here to get sanction to prosecute Syed Mohammad Kazmi, an accused in the Israeli diplomat attack case, under the Explosive Substances Act even as the latter opposed it saying it hinders his right to expeditious trial.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash granted the police more time to get sanction for prosecution under the Act as the police said the delay in securing sanction to try Kazmi under the explosive act has been caused due to an ongoing process of transferring district magistrates` power to grant sanction for prosecution to district deputy commissioners.
The police told the court that the process of delegating the requisite power from one official to another would take another 15 to 20 days.
The police plea for more time to get the requisite approval was opposed by Kazmi`s counsel Mehmood Pracha who said "sufficient time and opportunities have already been given to the prosecuting agency for filing the requisite sanction and his client who is in custody is being denied of his right of expeditious trial."
Agreeing with Pracha`s contention, the court asked police to file the sanction on record "positively" on or before October 8.
The CMM also directed the investigating officer to furnish a detailed report about filing or non-filing of the sanction.
Diplomat Tal Yehoshua and Israeli embassy`s driver were among four people injured in the blast on February 13.
Kazmi was arrested on March 6 and the police had claimed that on sustained interrogation, he had confessed to having conspired and facilitated the attack.
Kazmi has been charged under various provisions of the anti-terror law Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including attempt to murder.
He has also been named in the charge sheet as an offender under the Explosive Substances Act.
Kazmi is the sole person to have been named as accused in the charge sheet filed in the case.
The charge sheet names Iranian nationals Houshang Afshar Irani, Masod Sedaghatzadeh, Syed Ali Mehdi Sadr and Mohammed Reza Abolghasemi as suspects in the case.
The charge sheet says Kazmi had facilitated Irani in executing the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what