Israeli diplomat attack: Cops given time to get nod for Kazmi`s trial
New Delhi: The Delhi Police has been granted more time by a court here to get sanction to prosecute Syed Mohammad Kazmi, an accused in the Israeli diplomat attack case, under the Explosive Substances Act even as the latter opposed it saying it hinders his right to expeditious trial.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash granted the police more time to get sanction for prosecution under the Act as the police said the delay in securing sanction to try Kazmi under the explosive act has been caused due to an ongoing process of transferring district magistrates` power to grant sanction for prosecution to district deputy commissioners.
The police told the court that the process of delegating the requisite power from one official to another would take another 15 to 20 days.
The police plea for more time to get the requisite approval was opposed by Kazmi`s counsel Mehmood Pracha who said "sufficient time and opportunities have already been given to the prosecuting agency for filing the requisite sanction and his client who is in custody is being denied of his right of expeditious trial."
Agreeing with Pracha`s contention, the court asked police to file the sanction on record "positively" on or before October 8.
The CMM also directed the investigating officer to furnish a detailed report about filing or non-filing of the sanction.
Diplomat Tal Yehoshua and Israeli embassy`s driver were among four people injured in the blast on February 13.
Kazmi was arrested on March 6 and the police had claimed that on sustained interrogation, he had confessed to having conspired and facilitated the attack.
Kazmi has been charged under various provisions of the anti-terror law Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including attempt to murder.
He has also been named in the charge sheet as an offender under the Explosive Substances Act.
Kazmi is the sole person to have been named as accused in the charge sheet filed in the case.
The charge sheet names Iranian nationals Houshang Afshar Irani, Masod Sedaghatzadeh, Syed Ali Mehdi Sadr and Mohammed Reza Abolghasemi as suspects in the case.
The charge sheet says Kazmi had facilitated Irani in executing the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday