Israeli diplomat attack: Cops given time to get nod for Kazmi`s trial
New Delhi: The Delhi Police has been granted more time by a court here to get sanction to prosecute Syed Mohammad Kazmi, an accused in the Israeli diplomat attack case, under the Explosive Substances Act even as the latter opposed it saying it hinders his right to expeditious trial.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash granted the police more time to get sanction for prosecution under the Act as the police said the delay in securing sanction to try Kazmi under the explosive act has been caused due to an ongoing process of transferring district magistrates` power to grant sanction for prosecution to district deputy commissioners.
The police told the court that the process of delegating the requisite power from one official to another would take another 15 to 20 days.
The police plea for more time to get the requisite approval was opposed by Kazmi`s counsel Mehmood Pracha who said "sufficient time and opportunities have already been given to the prosecuting agency for filing the requisite sanction and his client who is in custody is being denied of his right of expeditious trial."
Agreeing with Pracha`s contention, the court asked police to file the sanction on record "positively" on or before October 8.
The CMM also directed the investigating officer to furnish a detailed report about filing or non-filing of the sanction.
Diplomat Tal Yehoshua and Israeli embassy`s driver were among four people injured in the blast on February 13.
Kazmi was arrested on March 6 and the police had claimed that on sustained interrogation, he had confessed to having conspired and facilitated the attack.
Kazmi has been charged under various provisions of the anti-terror law Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including attempt to murder.
He has also been named in the charge sheet as an offender under the Explosive Substances Act.
Kazmi is the sole person to have been named as accused in the charge sheet filed in the case.
The charge sheet names Iranian nationals Houshang Afshar Irani, Masod Sedaghatzadeh, Syed Ali Mehdi Sadr and Mohammed Reza Abolghasemi as suspects in the case.
The charge sheet says Kazmi had facilitated Irani in executing the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?