Israeli diplomat attack: Court issues notice to Special Cell
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday issued notice to Special Cell of Delhi Police on an application by scribe Syed Mohammad Kazmi, an accused in Israeli diplomat attack case, challenging the extension of probe period by a magisterial court.
Additional Sessions Judge Surinder S Rathi directed that a notice be issued to Special Cell to respond by July 30.
Kazmi`s counsel Mehmood Pracha had moved the court of District Judge challenging the July 20 order passed by the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate allowing a fresh report filed by the police seeking extension of period of investigation from 90 to 180 days.
The application was marked by the district judge to the court of ASJ Rathi.
Pracha submitted in the application that the July 20 order of the CMM has been passed in a very cursory manner. He also moved a fresh bail application for Kazmi before the Sessions court.
On July 20, the CMM had allowed Special Cell`s plea for extension of probe period considering its fresh report that the police is presently engaged in a time-consuming investigation spanning various countries, including Iran, Malaysia, Thailand and Israel to ascertain if there was a "larger conspiracy" behind the February 13 terror attack on Israeli diplomat here.
The court had also dismissed Kazmi`s bail plea moved on the ground that the police had got more time to probe the matter in a "calculated and malafide" manner.
Kazmi was arrested by the Special Cell on March 6. He completed 90 days in custody on June 5. The police, however, did not file the charge sheet saying it was still probing the matter and sought extension of probe period by 90 days, which was allowed by the CMM on June 2.
The Sessions court had on July 17 set aside the June 2 order saying the same was passed in "reticent and clandestine manner" as Kazmi`s counsel was not heard by the court and had given police the liberty to file within a week a fresh report before the CMM for extension of probe period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi