Israeli diplomat attack: Court issues notice to Special Cell
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday issued notice to Special Cell of Delhi Police on an application by scribe Syed Mohammad Kazmi, an accused in Israeli diplomat attack case, challenging the extension of probe period by a magisterial court.
Additional Sessions Judge Surinder S Rathi directed that a notice be issued to Special Cell to respond by July 30.
Kazmi`s counsel Mehmood Pracha had moved the court of District Judge challenging the July 20 order passed by the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate allowing a fresh report filed by the police seeking extension of period of investigation from 90 to 180 days.
The application was marked by the district judge to the court of ASJ Rathi.
Pracha submitted in the application that the July 20 order of the CMM has been passed in a very cursory manner. He also moved a fresh bail application for Kazmi before the Sessions court.
On July 20, the CMM had allowed Special Cell`s plea for extension of probe period considering its fresh report that the police is presently engaged in a time-consuming investigation spanning various countries, including Iran, Malaysia, Thailand and Israel to ascertain if there was a "larger conspiracy" behind the February 13 terror attack on Israeli diplomat here.
The court had also dismissed Kazmi`s bail plea moved on the ground that the police had got more time to probe the matter in a "calculated and malafide" manner.
Kazmi was arrested by the Special Cell on March 6. He completed 90 days in custody on June 5. The police, however, did not file the charge sheet saying it was still probing the matter and sought extension of probe period by 90 days, which was allowed by the CMM on June 2.
The Sessions court had on July 17 set aside the June 2 order saying the same was passed in "reticent and clandestine manner" as Kazmi`s counsel was not heard by the court and had given police the liberty to file within a week a fresh report before the CMM for extension of probe period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players