Jagdish Tytler withdraws from race for Congress ticket
New Delhi: Former MP Jagdish Tytler, who on March 04 filed his nomination for the candidature for the Northeast Lok Sabha seat under primaries project, on Thursday withdrew his nomination.
After meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Tytler decided to opt out.
"Jagdish Tytler today withdrew his nomination from the Northeast Lok Sabha seat. After Tytler`s withdrawal, Jai Prakash Agarwal, who is currently an MP from the same seat, and Rajesh Lalotia, a former MLA from Patel Nagar, will now contest elections for candidature. The voting under primaries project will be held at Harnam Palace in Gokulpur area on March 11," Pradeep Sharma, in-charge for the project, said.
Sharma also said that party has given an aeroplane as election symbol to Jai Prakash Agarwal while Lalotia has been provided with a bat as symbol.
He said around 360 voters will be exercising their franchise on March 11 and the result would also be declared on the same day, adding that after election`s result, they would send the name of winning candidate to the Central Election Committee of the party.
Ajay Maken, against whom no other leader of the party filed nomination for the New Delhi Lok Sabha Constituency under this project, is set to become the candidate for the same seat.
After filing his nomination on March 4, Tytler had issued a statement stating that: "I request the entire media fraternity to not to fall in the trap of a few politically motivated people to use 1984 riots as means of political self uplift."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'