Jail to explain if rape accused beaten in prison v
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sought a report from Tihar Jail superintendent on a complaint made by one of the accused in a minor`s rape case that he is beaten up by undertrials in jail van while being escorted to and from the court.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Garg, who is presiding over special court under the POCSO Act, has also directed the jail superintendent to make appropriate arrangements regarding the "safety and security" of accused Pradeep Kumar, who is lodged in Tihar Jail in judicial custody.
"The report be called from Superintendent Jail and Lockup In-charge (Karkardooma Court). Superintendent Jail is directed to make appropriate arrangements regarding the safety and security of this accused. Copy of the order be sent to Superintendent Jail and Lockup In-charge," the court said.
The court`s order came after Pradeep complained to the judge that he was often beaten by other undertrials when he, along with co-accused Manoj Shah, was brought to the court from the prison in the jail van.
The court has now fixed July 6 for hearing arguments on framing of charges against the two accused in the case.
Manoj and Pradeep are accused of brutally raping a five-year-old girl on April 15 in a building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar locality where the victim and accused lived.
The girl was rescued 40 hours later on April 17 and is under treatment at AIIMS.
Manoj, 22 and Pradeep, 20, who had fled after committing the crime, were arrested from Bihar, according to the police.
Delhi police had on May 24 filed a charge sheet against the duo under provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act relating to aggravated sexual assault and for offences including procuring a minor girl, kidnapping, wrongful confinement, attempt to murder and destruction of evidence under the IPC.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case