This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Jama Masjid blast: Police gets 20-days time to conclude probe

PTI | Last Updated: Sunday, April 6, 2014 - 10:23

New Delhi: A court here has allowed the plea of Delhi Police seeking 20 days more time to complete its investigation against Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his close aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case.

Special Cell of Delhi Police moved an application before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash, saying they require 20 days time to conclude the probe as suspected top IM operative Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas was arrested on March 22 and they need to quiz him to establish the "missing links".

"He (Waqas) has to be arrested in this case. With the arrest of this wanted terrorist, the missing links in the conspiracy are likely to be established which requires that period of investigation and judicial custody of these accused persons (Yasin and Akhtar) be extended," the police said.
It also said the reports of e-mails and ID chats used by Yasin and Akhtar have been sought from Yahoo and Nimbuzz and they were still awaited.

The police also claimed that Yasin had prepared the pressure cooker bomb which was fitted in the car parked outside the Jama Masjid on September 19, 2010.

"The material used to prepare circuits/timer fitted in the IED (improvised explosive device) was purchased by Ahmad Siddibappa (Yasin) and Asadullah Akhtar from Lajpat Rai market in Delhi," it said.
It also informed the court that efforts were being made to arrest the absconding accused, including IM co-founders Riyaz Bhatkal, Iqbal Bhatkal and top IM operative Amir Raza Khan.

The court allowed the plea filed by the special cell and
granted it 20 days time to complete its probe against Yasin and Akhtar who were arrested by National Investigation Agency from Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28 last year.

On September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired on tourists at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi area and two Taiwanese - Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-Chiange - had sustained bullet injuries whereas a bomb was fitted in a car parked in the area.

There was a mild explosion of the bomb fitted in the car.

Yasin and Akhtar are presently in Maharashtra after the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Mumbai had taken their custody in connection with the cases lodged against them there.

They both were wanted for their alleged roles in strings of terror attacks across the country.

First Published: Sunday, April 6, 2014 - 10:23

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus