Jamia will remain secular institution in spirit: VC
New Delhi: Jamia Millia Islamia Vice
Chancellor on Tuesday said that the status of minority institution will
put greater onus on the varsity to preserve its secular
"In proportion there are already nearly 50 per cent
Muslims studying at the University, so the ruling will not
change anything as far as that configuration is concerned",
Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung said.
"Now, we will only be able to ensure that this
continues, but little will change on the ground and ours has
always been a secular institution in spirit, ever since it was
established in 1920", he said.
The National Commission for Minority Educational
Institutions (NCMEI) on Tuesday ruled that Jamia Millia Islamia was
a minority institution, founded by the Muslims for the benefit
The ruling is a first for any central university that
will allow it to reserve up to 50 per cent seats for Muslims.
"Jamia has always strived to maintain its secular and
nationalist traditions, but this (ruling) puts a greater onus
on us to ensure that the secular character of the University
is maintained and enriched", he said.
Reacting to the announcement, Rajya Sabha MP Mohammad
Adeeb termed it a "long-awaited justice" for the Muslim
community and urged the government to settle the issue of
Aligarh Muslim University`s minority status as well.
"I hope the Government of India will take a cue from
this and also settle the issue of AMU on similar lines so that
the minority community can get their rights and fullfil the
objective for which these institutions were established", said
the independent MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report