Jan Lokpal Bill disturbs balance of power: NCCI
New Delhi: The National Council of Churches
in India on Thursday criticised Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal Bill saying
it "disturbs the balance of power" between Judiciary,
Executive and Legislature arms even as the former "recognised"
weaknesses in the government`s bill.
"The Lokpal Bill should have jurisdiction over the Prime
Minister with certain riders. The basic structure of the
Constitution which separates the Judiciary from the Executive
cannot be compromised," NCCI vice president P B M Basaiawmoit
Observing that the Prime Minister carries a moral and
ethical responsibility towards the citizens, the NCCI said,
"He/She should be safeguarded against malicious or baseless
targeting by groups who would like to disrupt democracy."
Acknowledging that corruption in the Judiciary is a
reality, "Judiciary Standards and Accountability Bill be
adopted so as to initiate judicial reforms as early as
possible," Basaiawmoit said.
The church body suggested that public sector undertakings
should come under the purview of the Lokpal Bill as part of
the new economic policies and that many are privatised (as
stipulated by Article 21 of the UN convention against
Talking of black money, the church panel said, "The
government should also develop international cooperation to
bring back the resources taken out of the country."
Praising Anna Hazare for igniting an initiation against
corruption, Basaiawmoit said, "That many alternative drafts
have come up from different sources is only a positive
development that will enable the Standing Committee on Law and
Justice as well as Parliament to bring to the people a strong
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati and Pimpri Chinchwad seats