Jan Lokpal Bill disturbs balance of power: NCCI
New Delhi: The National Council of Churches
in India on Thursday criticised Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal Bill saying
it "disturbs the balance of power" between Judiciary,
Executive and Legislature arms even as the former "recognised"
weaknesses in the government`s bill.
"The Lokpal Bill should have jurisdiction over the Prime
Minister with certain riders. The basic structure of the
Constitution which separates the Judiciary from the Executive
cannot be compromised," NCCI vice president P B M Basaiawmoit
Observing that the Prime Minister carries a moral and
ethical responsibility towards the citizens, the NCCI said,
"He/She should be safeguarded against malicious or baseless
targeting by groups who would like to disrupt democracy."
Acknowledging that corruption in the Judiciary is a
reality, "Judiciary Standards and Accountability Bill be
adopted so as to initiate judicial reforms as early as
possible," Basaiawmoit said.
The church body suggested that public sector undertakings
should come under the purview of the Lokpal Bill as part of
the new economic policies and that many are privatised (as
stipulated by Article 21 of the UN convention against
Talking of black money, the church panel said, "The
government should also develop international cooperation to
bring back the resources taken out of the country."
Praising Anna Hazare for igniting an initiation against
corruption, Basaiawmoit said, "That many alternative drafts
have come up from different sources is only a positive
development that will enable the Standing Committee on Law and
Justice as well as Parliament to bring to the people a strong
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre