Janmashtami celebrations begin in Delhi
New Delhi: With elaborately decorated cradles to mark the birth of Lord Krishna, Janmashtami celebrations began in Delhi Monday with much gaiety.
At the ISKCON temple, the day began as early as 4.30 a.m. with prayers. The temple was beautifully decorated with streamers and lights which would be lit up at night.
"The Janmashtami celebrations began with the Mangala aarti. There was the Guru puja after that and the Maha Abhishek," a member of the temple said.
"A large number of people have started coming from early morning. The scene will remain the same and through the day. At night, the crowd will increase manifold. Prasad (offerings) will be distributed to all the devotees," the member added.
Ashima Misra, a homemaker, said that she, like most other people, was observing a fast.
"On Janmashtami, we generally fast. However, some people eat fruit and a few other specific items. The actual festivity begins late at night when Lord Krishna is believed to have been born," Misra said.
Shravani Sharma, a school teacher, said that she will dress up her two-year-old son as Krishna in the evening for the celebrations in the community.
"Janmashtami celebrations are great fun in our locality. Devotional songs are sung and small girls dress up in all their finery imitating Krishna`s friends and dance. I will dress up my son as Krishna in a yellow dhoti, complete with a crown with a peacock feather," Sharma said.
"We have also decorated a cradle...which symbolises the birth of Krishna. At midnight, we will visit the temple and offer prayers," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm