JD-U for independent mechanism on MPs` salary hike
New Delhi: With the issue of salary hike of
MPs inviting criticism and creating controversies, the Janata
Dal-United today took a line similar to that of the Left
parties seeking an independent mechanism on it.
JD-U chief Sharad Yadav said that the government should
constitute an independent mechanism on the lines of the Pay
Commission for government servants, to periodically review the
salary of MPs and recommend hikes.
Yadav raised the demand in his meeting with Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee this morning, sources said.
The Left parties have taken a consistent position that
it would not be appropriate for the lawmakers to decide upon
their pay and allowances and the job should be entrusted to an
Yadav also told Mukherjee that it is not proper for MPs
to get involved in making recommendations for their salary
hike and the route of going through Joint Parliamentary
Committee for the issue is not good.
He said that there should be a separate mechanism keeping
MPs out of it which should take such decisions.
Sharad was not present in Lok Sabha yesterday when RJD
chief Lalu Prasad and SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav held mock
Parliament proceedings after the House was adjourned following
an uproar demanding further pay hike for MPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read