Jessica murder: Actor Shayan Munshi to be tried for perjury
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday ordered that actor Shyan Munshi and Prem Manocha be prosecuted on the charge of perjury, while it acquitted 17 other witnesses who had turned hostile during the trial of model Jessica Lal murder case.
A bench of justices S Ravindra Bhat and GP Mittal passed the order in the afternoon in the case in which the High Court had taken suo motu cognisance and questioned the prosecution as to how all the witnesses took somersault during the trial.
The bench had reserved its order on May 4, 2011, after hearing arguments on behalf of police and the witnesses who had turned hostile.
Lall was shot dead in April 1999 by Manu Sharma, son of Haryana Congress leader Venod Sharma after she refused to serve a drink to him at a late night party at socialite Bina Ramani`s restaurant Tamarind Court here in South Delhi.
The High Court, which reversed trial court`s verdict on December 18, 2006, awarded life imprisonment to Manu Sharma.
Munshi, who had lodged the FIR in the case, had pleaded to the court not to prosecute him saying, "He cannot be termed hostile as even the apex court had used part of his deposition in convicting the accused."
Munshi, the complainant in the case, had disowned the complaint during the trial, saying he did not know Hindi.
The prosecution had urged the high court to refer 19 out of the 31 hostile witnesses, including Munshi, to the magisterial court for their trial on charges of perjury.
It had pointed out that of the total 31 witnesses, only 19 were available for trial as three had died while the court had itself discharged 10 of them earlier on the ground that there was no major deviation between their statements to the police and later to the court.
The 19 persons, whose fate was decided today for turning hostile include socialite Andleeb Sehgal, ballistic experts Roop Singh and Prem Sagar, electrician Shiv Shankar Dass and eyewitness Jagannath Jha.
The apex court, while upholding the high court`s ruling in the case in April 2010, had also endorsed its findings on the issue of perjury.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi