JetLite to pay Rs 45K for loss of valuables from baggage
New Delhi: Low-fare airline JetLite has been ordered by a consumer forum here to pay Rs 45,000 to a passenger as compensation for the loss of valuables from his baggage during transit from Guwahati to Delhi.
Pulling up the airline for its "careless attitude" in handling the flier`s grievance, the South West District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum held that once the baggage was handed over to JetLite, it was responsible for its safety and security.
"Once the bag is submitted by passenger to the custody of the opposite party (airline), it is responsible for its safety and security. In the instant case, it is apparent that during the custody of the opposite party, the bag of the complainant was unlocked and the valuables were removed from it.
"Complainant has suffered financial loss and harassment due to careless attitude of opposite party which amounts to deficiency in service and he is entitled to be reasonably compensated," a bench presided by Narendra Kumar said.
It directed the airline to pay the passenger Rs 25,000 for the loss of valuables and Rs 20,000 as compensation.
The forum`s order came on the plea of Delhi resident Girish Kumar Jain who had said that he had travelled by JetLite from Guwahati to Delhi on June 12, 2008 and on arriving here he found his bag was damaged and valuables, including an expensive camera, were missing.
JetLite, now known as JetKonnect, in its defence had said that as per the conditions of carriage printed on the ticket valuables are to be carried in the cabin luggage.
The forum rejected the contention saying the conditions on the ticket are "only an advisory" and "it is not mandatory" that valuable articles have to be kept in the cabin luggage.
"We are not convinced with the defence taken," it said.
It also expressed surprise that JetLite took no action on Jain`s complaint.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!