JJ cluster will not be demolished: MCD
New Delhi: The MCD has assured the Delhi High Court that it would not launch any drive to demolish hutments (jhuggi-jhopri cluster) in illegal colonies on its land.
"The counsel for MCD has stated that till the next date of hearing, the MCD is not taking any demolition as alleged," a vacation bench of justices Veena Birbal and Manmohan Singh said and fixed the matter for hearing by a regular court on September 20.
The response of the civic agency came on a PIL by `Jhuggi Jhopri Ekta Manch`, an NGO that works on housing rights for slum dwellers, alleging that the MCD officials recently reached Arjun Das Cluster in East Kidwai Nagar here with bulldozers to raze around 450 shanties.
The PIL, filed through lawyers Mohit Chaudhary and Puja Sharma, said "the right to shelter is a fundamental right, as declared by the Supreme Court in several judgements" and it cannot be denied to the `jhuggi` dwellers in this case also.
Earlier in 2009 also, the MCD had undertaken a demolition drive in JJ clusters and had razed some shanties without any notice to the residents there on the ground that the land was needed for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the petition said.
"No effort was made to provide rehabilitation for the residents prior to or after the demolition. While the MCD verbally informed some residents that the area was required for the Commonwealth Games, nothing has been done with the land till date and many residents have continued to live there," it said.
The MCD again came back to demolish jhuggies on June 9 which led to the filing of the PIL and the court restrained it from razing the shanties. The JJ cluster has 95 jhuggies with approximately 450 residents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video