JNU student attacked by classmate still in ICU, `doing very well`
New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Roshni is "doing very well" though she remains in ICU four days after the attack by a besotted classmate, a doctor attending to her at the Safdarjung Hospital said Sunday.
"She is stable and doing very well. She is still in ICU (intensive care unit)," Safdarjung Hospital Medical Superintendent BD Athani told a news agency.
Following the attack, Roshni had a major brain clot due to deep injuries on her skull. Her right wrist was badly slashed.
"Her wounds have been examined and dressing done. The movement in her limbs have also been observed," Athani said, adding that the wounds were contaminated, and that was a cause of concern.
"But so far, there are no alarming signs," he said.
The 22-year-old student was savagely attacked Wednesday in the classroom by her besotted classmate, Akash, 23, with an axe. He later committed suicide by slitting his throat and drinking a poisonous substance.
Roshni, the youngest daughter of a businessman in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, came for higher studies to Delhi after studying up to Class 12 in Bihar.
On Thursday, Roshni`s brother Sudhir Gupta said his sister was never in a relationship with the attacker, but Akash had been "after her for a long time".
"He (Akash) proposed to my sister several times. But she refused each time. That might have triggered the attack and suicide," Gupta said, describing his sister as "very intelligent". She had obtained good marks in last year`s annual examination, he said.
A police officer said a four-page note written in Hindi and English by Akash was being analysed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?