JNU student attacked by classmate still in ICU, `doing very well`
New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Roshni is "doing very well" though she remains in ICU four days after the attack by a besotted classmate, a doctor attending to her at the Safdarjung Hospital said Sunday.
"She is stable and doing very well. She is still in ICU (intensive care unit)," Safdarjung Hospital Medical Superintendent BD Athani told a news agency.
Following the attack, Roshni had a major brain clot due to deep injuries on her skull. Her right wrist was badly slashed.
"Her wounds have been examined and dressing done. The movement in her limbs have also been observed," Athani said, adding that the wounds were contaminated, and that was a cause of concern.
"But so far, there are no alarming signs," he said.
The 22-year-old student was savagely attacked Wednesday in the classroom by her besotted classmate, Akash, 23, with an axe. He later committed suicide by slitting his throat and drinking a poisonous substance.
Roshni, the youngest daughter of a businessman in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, came for higher studies to Delhi after studying up to Class 12 in Bihar.
On Thursday, Roshni`s brother Sudhir Gupta said his sister was never in a relationship with the attacker, but Akash had been "after her for a long time".
"He (Akash) proposed to my sister several times. But she refused each time. That might have triggered the attack and suicide," Gupta said, describing his sister as "very intelligent". She had obtained good marks in last year`s annual examination, he said.
A police officer said a four-page note written in Hindi and English by Akash was being analysed.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Now, Pakistan's spy agency ISI using 'mobile apps' to spy on Indian security forces?
- India rejects USCIRF report on intolerance, says Constitution guarantees right to freedom of religion
- Gold price rises further to Rs 30,250 per 10 grams
- India's tour of Zimbabwe: Men in Blue to play three ODIs, three T20Is in June
- NEET 2016: SC asks MCI to respond to state governments' plea to hold separate exams this year