JNU student attacked by classmate still in ICU, `doing very well`
New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Roshni is "doing very well" though she remains in ICU four days after the attack by a besotted classmate, a doctor attending to her at the Safdarjung Hospital said Sunday.
"She is stable and doing very well. She is still in ICU (intensive care unit)," Safdarjung Hospital Medical Superintendent BD Athani told a news agency.
Following the attack, Roshni had a major brain clot due to deep injuries on her skull. Her right wrist was badly slashed.
"Her wounds have been examined and dressing done. The movement in her limbs have also been observed," Athani said, adding that the wounds were contaminated, and that was a cause of concern.
"But so far, there are no alarming signs," he said.
The 22-year-old student was savagely attacked Wednesday in the classroom by her besotted classmate, Akash, 23, with an axe. He later committed suicide by slitting his throat and drinking a poisonous substance.
Roshni, the youngest daughter of a businessman in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, came for higher studies to Delhi after studying up to Class 12 in Bihar.
On Thursday, Roshni`s brother Sudhir Gupta said his sister was never in a relationship with the attacker, but Akash had been "after her for a long time".
"He (Akash) proposed to my sister several times. But she refused each time. That might have triggered the attack and suicide," Gupta said, describing his sister as "very intelligent". She had obtained good marks in last year`s annual examination, he said.
A police officer said a four-page note written in Hindi and English by Akash was being analysed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand