JNU student attacked by classmate still in ICU, `doing very well`
New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Roshni is "doing very well" though she remains in ICU four days after the attack by a besotted classmate, a doctor attending to her at the Safdarjung Hospital said Sunday.
"She is stable and doing very well. She is still in ICU (intensive care unit)," Safdarjung Hospital Medical Superintendent BD Athani told a news agency.
Following the attack, Roshni had a major brain clot due to deep injuries on her skull. Her right wrist was badly slashed.
"Her wounds have been examined and dressing done. The movement in her limbs have also been observed," Athani said, adding that the wounds were contaminated, and that was a cause of concern.
"But so far, there are no alarming signs," he said.
The 22-year-old student was savagely attacked Wednesday in the classroom by her besotted classmate, Akash, 23, with an axe. He later committed suicide by slitting his throat and drinking a poisonous substance.
Roshni, the youngest daughter of a businessman in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, came for higher studies to Delhi after studying up to Class 12 in Bihar.
On Thursday, Roshni`s brother Sudhir Gupta said his sister was never in a relationship with the attacker, but Akash had been "after her for a long time".
"He (Akash) proposed to my sister several times. But she refused each time. That might have triggered the attack and suicide," Gupta said, describing his sister as "very intelligent". She had obtained good marks in last year`s annual examination, he said.
A police officer said a four-page note written in Hindi and English by Akash was being analysed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla