Joshi says "fully committed" to JPC into 2G scam
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of unease in
BJP over pursuance of 2G probe by Parliament`s Public Accounts
Committee, its Chairman M M Joshi today associated himself
with his party`s demand for JPC into the issue of corruption
during UPA-II, saying he was "fully committed" to it.
In a statement issued a day after his reported meeting
with BJP President Nitin Gadkari, Joshi sought to clear doubts
in his party by saying that the PAC would be looking into only
the aspect of accountability in public spending with regard to
2G spectrum allocation.
"As a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, I stand
fully committed to the demand for the formation of Joint
Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to look into the broader
questions related to corruption facing the country today,"
Contending that the "issues of corruption during UPA-II"
are of great concern for the people of India, he said the PAC
which he heads would look into the matters of public spending
based on the CAG reports.
"The PAC has a constitutional jurisdiction and its
function is well laid out. It shall function within its
purview and within the rules and procedure of the Parliament.
It shall make sure that every paisa of public money is well
accounted for," Joshi said.
He noted that the PAC does not deal just with the
Telecom Ministry but analyses every report of the CAG dealing
with the various ministries.
"As the Chairman of the PAC, I believe in the
Committee`s vast powers in bringing greater accountability to
public spending. I commit myself to playing this role
effectively," the BJP leader said.
Joshi`s statement assumes significance as BJP has been
uneasy with him pushing forward the PAC inquiry into 2G
spectrum allocation, as it was seen as scuttling the
Opposition`s relentless demand for JPC probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital