Journalist beaten up by Delhi Shahi Imam`s supporters
Lucknow: Shahi Imam of the Delhi Jama
Masjid, Maulana Syed Ahmed Bukhari on Thursday lost his cool when a
Muslim journalist questioned him regarding the Ayodhya verdict
during a press conference following which he was thrashed by
supporters of the cleric.
Mohd Abdul Waheed Chisti, a reporter with a local Urdu
daily, raised a question relating to the ownership of the
disputed site before the construction of the Babri mosque in
Chisti asked the Shahi Imam to spell out his stand on the
mention of King Dashrath`s name in land records of 1528 before
the Babri mosque was constructed.
Initially, Bukhari skirted the question but when the
journalist insisted, he was threatened.
"Get him out of this conference, Bukhari shouted while
accusing the journalist of working against the interests of
Bukhari`s supporters then thrashed the journalist in full
public glare. People like him will "not be tolerated by
Muslims at any cost," the Shahi Imam said before leaving the
Chisti said he was only seeking a clarification from
Bukhari, who had needlessly got provoked.
The journalist later filed an FIR against Bukhari and his
supporters at Hazratganj kotwali.
Earlier, Bukhari said the September 30 verdict of the
Allahabad High Court on the Ayodhya title suits was based on
faith and was not acceptable to the Muslims.
He said there was no question of evolving a consensus or
even holding talks for giving the mosque site for temple
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court had
directed that the 2.77-acre disputed site be divided into 3
parts. Of this, 2 parts go to the Hindus and the remaining to
On efforts by Hashim Ansari, the oldest litigant in the
title suits, for an out of court settlement, Bukhari said he
did not take him seriously as he was "changing his statements
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'