JPC into 2G scam to seek term extension
New Delhi: The Joint Parliamentary Committee looking into 2G spectrum allocation scam on Tuesday decided to seek extension of its term till the end of the next budget session of Parliament.
The term of the JPC ends on the last day of the ongoing monsoon session.
JPC Chairman P C Chacko said, here that the committee members decided that Speaker Meira Kumar be asked to extend the term of the panel till the end of the budget session.
"If the Speaker agrees, then I will move a motion in the Lok Sabha to extend the term as we will need more time to examine the witnesses...earlier, we had thought that JPC will
complete its business by the end of the winter session. But that is not possible," he said.
Despite efforts, the committee has so far only heard officials of Enforcement Directorate, CBI and some former Telecom Secretaries.
It is yet to hear other former Telecom Secretaries, former Chairmen of TRAI, former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee and former Telecom Ministers.
Chacko said, that after the ongoing session is over, the committee will have more frequent meetings with extended hours.
The JPC, consisting of 20 members from Lok Sabha and 10 from Rajya Sabha, was constituted to examine matters relating to allocation and pricing of telecom licences and spectrum between 1998 and 2009 on 4 March, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog