JPC will decide Raja`s request for appearing before it: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on saturday steered clear of the issue of former Telecom minister A Raja`s request to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar for appearing before the Joint Parliamentary Committee on 2G spectrum as a witness.
"JPC will decide his request. JPC is empowered to accept such kind of requests. It takes its decisions absolutely independently," party spokesman Rashid Alvi said.
He was responding to a media query on Raja`s request to the Lok Sabha Speaker that he be allowed to appear before the JPC to tell his side of story.
Meanwhile, an AIADMK leader, whose party is arch rival of the DMK to which Raja belongs, also steered clear of the issue.
The AIADMK leader, who did not wish to be identified, asked as to why should his party comment when Raja`s action signalled a "fight between Congress and DMK". DMK is partner of the Congress-led UPA government.
Raja`s action comes days after Attorney General G E Vahanvati blamed him for various issues related to the spectrum scam.
The former Telecom minister met Kumar at her office yesterday and handed over a letter expressing his willingness to appear as a witness before the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy