Judicial custody of Kanda, Chaddha extended
New Delhi: A Delhi court Tuesday extended the judicial custody of former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda and that of his aide Aruna Chaddha in the Geetika Sharma suicide case by 14 days, conducting its proceedings through video conferencing.
Metropolitan Magistrate Bhupinder Singh remanded Kanda and Chaddha to judicial custody till September 25 after the Delhi police said investigation in the case was still on.
The duo were not brought to the court physically from Rohini Jail after expiry of their judicial custody today.
"Accused (Kanda and Chaddha) produced through electronic video linkage (EVL). Heard. Accused be remanded in judicial custody till 25," Metropolitan Magistrate Bhupinder Singh said.
The court had earlier allowed the Delhi police`s plea for conducting proceedings through video conferencing as, the police said, a huge crowd gathers in court premises when the two accused are produced there.
The police had said that due to media hype and the crowd of onlookers and supporters of the accused, they did not want to bring them to court physically.
In future proceedings also, Kanda and Chaddha would be produced before the judge through video conferencing.
Kanda was arrested on August 18 after he had surrendered before the police, 13 days after former air hostess Geetika Sharma was found dead on August 5 in her Ashok Vihar house in North West Delhi.
Chaddha was arrested on August 8 after she was called for questioning by the police for her alleged role in the case.
In her suicide note, Geetika had alleged that Kanda and one of the MDLR employees, Chaddha, were harassing her to rejoin the former minister`s firm after she left the job.
In her August 4 suicide note, 23-year-old Geetika had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chaddha. Both Kanda and Chaddha have been accused of abetting Geetika`s suicide.
The court had earlier dismissed Chaddha`s bail plea saying if she is released at this juncture, she might tamper with the evidence.
A magisterial court had issued a non-bailable warrant (NBW) against the former Haryana minister on August 16 and he had surrendered before police on August 18.
Kanda`s anticipatory bail plea was rejected earlier by a sessions court and the Delhi High Court earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly