Junvenile in Delhi gang-rape case should not get away lightly: Krishna Tirath
New Delhi: Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Krishna Tirath on Monday said the juvenile involved in the gangrape and murder of the 23-year old girl here should be treated as an exception and not let off lightly considering the seriousness of the crime.
"From what I have learnt, one of the culprits in the case is not 18 years and falls short by a few months. Keeping in mind the gruesome nature of the crime, I feel he should not be let off lightly considering he played a prominent role in the violent act," Tirath told PTI.
It was pointed out to her that the current law did not carry any such provisions and anyone below 18 years could not be charged under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
"I think this is a very heinous crime and so an exception should be made in this case. We are representatives of the people and we have to keep in mind the aspirations of the people," she said.
The WCD minister said she would try to seek a legal solution to find a way through consultations with the ministries of Home Affairs and Law and Justice so that the juvenile does not get away lightly.
Tirath said even the Juvenile Justice Act could be amended in the coming days to make exception in the case of heinous crimes like murder and rape.
Tirath said that at a recent meeting, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Manmohan Singh had also expressed that swift and severe punishment should be meted out to the culprits in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy