Justice denied to Sikh community in 1984 riots case: BJP
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Friday expressed solidarity with the Sikh community which is anguished over acquittal of Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case and accused Congress of failing to ensure punishment to the guilty.
"I empathies with the community which feels betrayed as justice has not only been delayed but justice has been denied to them," Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel said.
He said successive Congress governments have never shown the will and intentions to take the long-pending cases to the logical end.
"The Congress regime has failed to ensure that justice is delivered by bringing the guilty to the book," he said.
Goel said it was during the NDA regime that the Nanawati Commission was constituted to conduct an inquiry into the 1984 riots.
The CBI had registered cases against Congress MP Sajjan Kumar in 2005 only on the recommendations of the Nanavati Commission, he said.
"It is strange that in the same case while five co-accused have been convicted, Sajjan Kumar was acquitted. This further strengthens our belief that the CBI deliberately left loopholes in this case which resulted in his acquittal," Goel added.
People from the Sikh community have been holding protest in various areas of the city demanding action against those involved in the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened