Justice denied to Sikh community in 1984 riots case: BJP
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Friday expressed solidarity with the Sikh community which is anguished over acquittal of Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case and accused Congress of failing to ensure punishment to the guilty.
"I empathies with the community which feels betrayed as justice has not only been delayed but justice has been denied to them," Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel said.
He said successive Congress governments have never shown the will and intentions to take the long-pending cases to the logical end.
"The Congress regime has failed to ensure that justice is delivered by bringing the guilty to the book," he said.
Goel said it was during the NDA regime that the Nanawati Commission was constituted to conduct an inquiry into the 1984 riots.
The CBI had registered cases against Congress MP Sajjan Kumar in 2005 only on the recommendations of the Nanavati Commission, he said.
"It is strange that in the same case while five co-accused have been convicted, Sajjan Kumar was acquitted. This further strengthens our belief that the CBI deliberately left loopholes in this case which resulted in his acquittal," Goel added.
People from the Sikh community have been holding protest in various areas of the city demanding action against those involved in the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof