Justice Ganguly should take decision on moral grounds: Manish Tewari
New Delhi: Justice AK Ganguly should consider the "nationwide outrage" against him over unwelcome behaviour towards a law intern and take an appropriate decision on moral grounds immediately, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said on Thursday night.
"There has been a nationwide outrage on the matter. The issue came up before both Houses of Parliament. Taking into account all this, he should take an appropriate decision on moral grounds immediately," he said when asked if Ganguly should quit as the Chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission.
Tewari`s statement came as the government appeared to be moving towards making a Presidential Reference for his removal as the head of the Commission in the wake of his indictment by a Supreme Court committee for "unwelcome behaviour" towards a law intern.
Home Ministry has sought Law Ministry`s opinion on sending a Presidential Reference to the Supreme Court to probe into allegations against him.
Ganguly, who retired from the apex court more than a year ago, was accused by the intern of sexually harassing her in a hotel room in Delhi last year, a charge strongly denied by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy
- Asha Kumari appointed AICC incharge of Punjab