Justice Verma seeks Dikshit`s views on amending anti-rape law
New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of India JS Verma, who heads a three-member panel to recommend changes in anti-rape law, has sought Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s views on amending existing legislation.
In a letter, Verma referred to the brutal gang-rape of the 23-year-old girl in the city which sparked massive public outcry for enhanced punishment for those involved in sexual assault and requested Dikshit to convey her views on making changes in existing criminal laws.
The Justice Verma Committee is looking into possible amendments to criminal law for providing quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women.
The former CJI specifically wanted to know Dikshit`s views on public demand for harsher punishment to culprits involved in crimes against women.
Asked whether she supported death sentence for rape convicts, Dikshit had last month said she personally favoured gallows for such convicts.
Under the existing law, the maximum punishment for rape is a life term but the nation-wide outrage over the gang-rape of the physiotherapy student in a moving bus on December 16 sparked a demand for death penalty for rape convicts.
The girl breathed her last in a Singapore hospital on December 29, three days after she was flown there.
Verma has requested Dikshit to let the panel know about her views on the matter by January 5, stating that it has been given only a month`s time by government to file its report.
The government had appointed the committee on December 23. Besides Justice (retd) Verma, the other members of the panel are Justice (retd) Leila Seth (former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court) and former Solicitor General of India Gopal Subramanian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune