Kalmadi aide`s bail plea rejected
New Delhi: The bail plea of former Director of Commonwealth Games OC V K Verma, arrested for his alleged role in awarding a games contract to a Swiss firm at inflated rates, was dismissed by a Delhi court on Saturday.
Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh dismissed Verma`s bail application on the ground that he can influence witnesses, if released on bail.
Verma, while seeking bail, had told the court that "whatever loss may have been caused has been caused to the Games Organising Committee and not to the government. The amount, which was given to the OC by the government for
organising and running the Games, was a loan, which was to be repaid."
He had also questioned how CBI could reach a figure of loss of Rs 95 crore saying "unless somebody says, that MSL Spain`s tender was for such and such amount, how can CBI reach the figure of Rs 95 crore?"
Verma also claimed, that at no point of time he was a part of any alleged conspiracy and had not forged any document as claimed by CBI and its charge sheet.
CBI had opposed his bail plea contending Verma was among the key personnel in OC and instrumental in allotment of the TSR contract to Swiss Timing in "a pre-planned and pre-meditated manner".
"The minutes of the OC Financial Committee were fudged under his (Verma) direct supervision," CBI had said, and added there have been no changes in the circumstances, since his bail plea was first rejected on April 9 so as to warrant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31