Kanda`s bail cancellation: HC reserves judgement
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday reserved its judgement on the plea filed by the city police opposing the bail granted to former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda in the air hostess Geetika Sharma suicide case.
Justice V P Vaish reserved the judgement after Additional Solicitor General Sidhartha Luthra, appearing for the police, Kanda`s counsel and counsel of Ankit Sharma, brother of Geetika, concluded their respective arguments.
The lower court had on October 14 last year dismissed the bail plea of Kanda and, later, on March 4 this year, granted him bail after noting that co-accused Chadha had been released on bail by the high court.
Kanda and Chadha are facing trial for betting the suicide by the 23-year-old Geetika who was earlier employed as an air hostess in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
Earlier, the court had asked Kanda and Delhi Police to file their replies to the bail cancellation plea.
The plea had alleged that being an "influential" politician, Kanda may tamper with evidence and influence the witnesses in the trial.
The trial court had, while granting bail to Kanda, observed that the former minister had been in judicial custody since August, 2012 in connection with the case.
Chadha was arrested on August 8, 2012, while Kanda had surrendered a few days later on August 18.
Both the accused have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim.
Geetika was found dead on August 5, 2012, at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi. In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
The police had in its charge-sheet said Kanda was obsessed with the victim and was putting pressure on her to come back to his company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday