Kapil Sibal for hiring best scientists at desired pay scale
New Delhi: Pushing for creation of Intellectual Property Rights in field of technology, Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday said institutions involved in R&D should hire talented scientists, including Indians overseas, at desired pay scales.
"Pick up research people of excellence from around the world. Bring them into your institutions. We now have system put in place that allows you to do that. Give them the scales of salary that you want...Young Indians around the world are very keen to come back to India," Sibal said while speaking at an event for setting up research centre at IIT Roorkee.
An agreement between Indian Railways` unit RailTel, Department of Telecom and IIT Roorkee was signed on the occasion for setting up Telecom Centre of Excellence (TCOE) at IIT Roorkee.
This is ninth TCOE set-up, which will be funded by RailTel for first five years for entire research done by it.
Sibal said it’s time to assess achievements of other TCOE and collaborate to enhance Indian IPR.
"When I was in HRD (Human Resource Development), we set up a Kakodkar Committee to give autonomy to the IITs and we succeeded to large extent. We extended giving autonomy to institutions but are the institutes giving autonomy to the people who work within the institution?" he asked.
The Minister said innovation would hinge on the extent of autonomy given to scientists involved in research work.
"If you do not give access to those minds and liberate those minds from bureaucratic control of IIT institutions...You will not get innovation," Sibal said.
To push R&D, DoT is working to set up Telecom Research and Development fund of around Rs 5,000 crore under 12th Five Year Plan.
This will fund R&D, facilitate creation of IPR and patents and provide soft loans for such purposes, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees