Karat seeks president`s intervention for justice t
New Delhi: CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat on Monday sought President Pratibha Patil`s intervention to ensure justice to alleged Naxal sympathiser Soni Sori, saying she was torutured in custody.
Karat, who led a delegation to the President, also asked her to look into the issue of a gallantry medal awarded to the then Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg who is alleged to have tortured Sori.
"The President gave us a patient hearing and assured us that she will write to the relevant authorities at the Centre and Chhattisgarh state government," the CPI (M) Politburo member told PTI after meeting Patil.
She alleged that Sori had undergone "custodial torture" and asked the President to have it probed even though it has been prima facie proved during medical tests.
Karat said that an enquiry should be conducted against Garg and how he got the gallantry medal.
A suspected Maoist conduit, Sori has been accused by the police of receiving "protection money" from the Essar group.
She was arrested on October 4 last year in South Delhi by a Chhattisgarh police team and was taken to Dantewada for interrogation.
Essar has denied giving funds to Maoists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM