Karat seeks president`s intervention for justice t
New Delhi: CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat on Monday sought President Pratibha Patil`s intervention to ensure justice to alleged Naxal sympathiser Soni Sori, saying she was torutured in custody.
Karat, who led a delegation to the President, also asked her to look into the issue of a gallantry medal awarded to the then Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg who is alleged to have tortured Sori.
"The President gave us a patient hearing and assured us that she will write to the relevant authorities at the Centre and Chhattisgarh state government," the CPI (M) Politburo member told PTI after meeting Patil.
She alleged that Sori had undergone "custodial torture" and asked the President to have it probed even though it has been prima facie proved during medical tests.
Karat said that an enquiry should be conducted against Garg and how he got the gallantry medal.
A suspected Maoist conduit, Sori has been accused by the police of receiving "protection money" from the Essar group.
She was arrested on October 4 last year in South Delhi by a Chhattisgarh police team and was taken to Dantewada for interrogation.
Essar has denied giving funds to Maoists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case