Karat seeks president`s intervention for justice t
New Delhi: CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat on Monday sought President Pratibha Patil`s intervention to ensure justice to alleged Naxal sympathiser Soni Sori, saying she was torutured in custody.
Karat, who led a delegation to the President, also asked her to look into the issue of a gallantry medal awarded to the then Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg who is alleged to have tortured Sori.
"The President gave us a patient hearing and assured us that she will write to the relevant authorities at the Centre and Chhattisgarh state government," the CPI (M) Politburo member told PTI after meeting Patil.
She alleged that Sori had undergone "custodial torture" and asked the President to have it probed even though it has been prima facie proved during medical tests.
Karat said that an enquiry should be conducted against Garg and how he got the gallantry medal.
A suspected Maoist conduit, Sori has been accused by the police of receiving "protection money" from the Essar group.
She was arrested on October 4 last year in South Delhi by a Chhattisgarh police team and was taken to Dantewada for interrogation.
Essar has denied giving funds to Maoists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!