Karnataka seeks drought relief package
New Delhi: An Rs 2,606 crore drought relief package, Karnataka MPs on Thursday held a protest in Parliament premises.
"Karnataka is reeling under severe drought and we have
sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s intervention to save
the farmers of the state. We have already submitted a
memorandum to the Prime Minister and have asked for Rs 2,606
crore as drought relief package," BJP leader Ananth Kumar told
About the Prime Minister`s response, he said the "Prime
Minister heard us and said that he would talk to the Home
Minister about it."
Cutting across party lines, protesting MPs held the
protest in front of Mahatma Gandhi`s statue in Parliament
premises and raised slogans like, "We want justice for
Karnataka in the Cauvery river dispute."
Kumar said 124 tehsils of the state are hit by the
Injustice is being done to Kerala on the Cauvery water
issue, he said.
Besides Karnataka, MPs from Kerala also held a sit-in
demonstration in front of the Gandhi statute demanding passing
of a bill for private nurses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet