Katara case: Report filed on hospital visits of Vishal, Vikas
New Delhi: A board of doctors of an Army hospital today submitted to the Delhi High Court its report on repeated visits of the 2002 Nitish Katara murder case convicts Vikas and Vishal Yadav to various hospitals from Tihar jail.
Referring to the contents of the report, a bench of Justices Gita Mittal and VK Shali said, "The prolonged hospitalisation (of Vishal) is not justified. This aspect of the report, however, needs to be put in a more specific manner."
The court, which kept the report for consideration on July 6, meanwhile, asked the medical board to file another report dealing with Vikas` visits to hospitals.
The court had ordered earlier setting up of the board to examine medical records of Vikas and Vishal to examine as to how many of their visits from Tihar to hospitals were justified.
It had asked the medical superintendent of the Army`s Research and Referral (R and R) Hospital here to constitute a board of doctors and evaluate the medical records of both the convicts.
Taking a serious view over Vishal`s 87 visits to Batra Hospital and shifting of Vikas from `B` class facility to `A` class at AIIMS after their conviction in 2008, the high court had earlier, directed both the hospitals to place before it their medical records.
Referring to the AIIMS medical records, victim`s mother Neelam Katara had also alleged that Vikas was not in his room on October 26, 2011 night which was the day of `Diwali`.
In 2008, a trial court has awarded life imprisonment to Vikas and Vishal and also similar punishment to third accused Sukhdev Pehalwan who had been tried separately as he had absconded during the trial of Yadavs in the case.
Nitish Katara, a business executive, was abducted from a marriage party at Ghaziabad on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002 and was later killed for his alleged intimacy with Vikas` sister Bharti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre