Katara case: Tihar officials rapped by HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday came down heavily on Tihar Jail authorities for not taking any step against Nitish Katara murder case convicts Vikas and Vishal Yadav`s numerous "unwarranted" visits to various hospitals from jail and their long stays there.
"One of the convicts (Vishal) remained hospitalised at Batra hospital for nearly three-and-half months for nothing and you (jail authorities) did not take any action," said a bench of justices Gita Mittal and V K Shali.
The bench was not convinced with the plea of Tihar Jail authorities that Vishal was being taken to Batra Hospital in pursuance of an earlier direction of the high court for taking him to the private hospital for check up at his own expenses.
"What had stopped you from seeking a review of that order? The court asked, adding that all the inmates should be taken to the same hospital for treatment of a similar kind of ailments.
During the arguments, the counsel for Neelam Katara, mother of victim Nitish, said, "Vishal remained hospitalized from February 25 to June 4, 2009 at Batra Hospital following complaints of stomach disorder and was being administered Flagyl tablet."
"We just wanted to see as to what treatment was given to the convicts? We also want to know when did the state act?," the bench said.
The bench, meanwhile, took on records the health reports, filed by AIIMS following the examination of Vikas and Vishal by a medical board as per the court`s earlier direction.
The court also asked its registry to prepare two separate documents, based on medical reports and keep the originals in sealed covers to be produced before it on demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?