Katara murder case: 2 guards of Vikas suspended
New Delhi: The city government on Wednesday told
the Delhi High Court that two policemen, who were on duty for
the security of Nitish Katara murder convict Vikas Yadav on
the day of `Diwali` last year, have been suspended and inquiry
was initiated against them.
Appearing for Delhi Police, Special Public Prosecutor
Dayan Krishnan told the bench of justices Gita Mittal and V K
Shali that the two constables who were on duty for Vikas`s
security were suspended and the inquiry has been initiated
The state`s action came after the allegation of Neelam
Katara, mother of the deceased, that on last year`s `Diwali`
night Vikas was not in the AIIMS for his medical treatment.
While referring to the AIIMS medical records on March 23,
she had alleged Vikas was not in his room on the night of
October 26, 2011, which was the day of `Diwali` and had sought
a CBI inquiry into it.
Her counsel P K Dey had said Vikas had left the AIIMS at
8.30 pm and came back the next morning but the sister,
who was on duty, was not informed either by the patient or the
policemen who were with him.
The state submitted reports regarding Vikas and his
cousin Vishal`s visits to various hospitals and said the
government has incurred around Rs 20 lakh on security of both
the convicts between September 2009 to February 2012 for
taking them for medical treatment from the jail.
The government also said that during that period Vishal
had made telephone calls of Rs 55,000.
Meanwhile, the bench asked the counsel appearing for
Vikas and Vishal whether they are willing to pay the
expenditure on their visits.
The court, however, made it clear that in case they
failed to pay the money, it would pass an appropriate order.
According to Neelam Katara, Vishal was in Batra Hospital
for 524 days for his treatment, out of which he had stayed
there for 350 days by not clearing his hospital dues
The court has set up a board of Army doctors to
examine medical records of both the convicts to examine how
many of their numerous visits to various hospitals were
Taking a serious view of Vishal`s 87 visits to Batra
Hospital and shifting of Vikas from `B` class facility to `A`
class at the AIIMS since their conviction in 2008, the court
had directed both the hospitals to place before it their
In 2008, a trial court awarded life imprisonment to Vikas
and Vishal and a similar punishment to third accused Sukhdev
Pehalwan who had been tried separately as he had absconded
during the trial of the Yadav duo in the case.
While the convicts have moved the high court seeking
reversal of the trial court`s findings, police and Neelam
have filed appeals for award of death penalty, saying the
offence was of the "rarest of rare" category.
Nitish Katara, a business executive, was abducted from a
marriage party at Ghaziabad on the intervening night of
February 16-17, 2002, and was later killed for his alleged
intimacy with Vikas` sister Bharti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble