Katara murder: HC notice to Delhi, UP govts
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday sought
the stands of Uttar Pradesh and Delhi governments on the bail
plea of former Rajya Sabha MP D P Yadav`s son Vikas Yadav
serving life term for killing his sister`s friend Nitish
Katara nine years ago.
A bench of justices AK Sikri and Siddharth Mridul issued
notices to the two state governments and sought their replies
by October 21.
In his bail plea, filed through counsel Sumit Verma,
Vikas said his appeal has been pending before the Delhi High
Court for over three years now and it may take more than a
year for beginning of the hearing of his appeal by the court.
Vikas sought bail claiming the Supreme Court earlier
had given him the liberty to seek it in case of delay in
hearing of his appeal.
He said that on the grounds of having a heavy workload, a
high court`s bench had last month refused to list for early
hearing his appeal against the trial court`s May 2008 order
which had convicted and sentenced him along with his cousin
Vishal Yadav and others for kidnapping and killing Katara.
Vikas` counsel had submitted the matter was admitted in
January this year and it may take more than a year for the
court to take up the appeal. He had said that till then the
accused was deprived of seeking any relief in the case.
In April this year, the high court had refused bail to
Vikas but allowed him to attend his younger brother`s marriage
ceremony while remaining in custody.
According to the prosecution, Vikas and Vishal had
kidnapped Katara, son of a senior bureaucrat, from a marriage
party in Ghaziabad on the night of February 16, 2002, and
killed him as they were against Katara`s intimacy with their
sister Bharati Yadav.
A city court, while convicting both the accused for the
murder, had awarded them life sentence in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand