Katju faces ire of PCI members; defers adoption of 2 reports
New Delhi: Markandey Katju on Monday faced a stormy session in the Press Council of India meeting when members of the body forced him to defer adoption of reports on the Faizabad riots and the alleged muffling of media in Bihar.
Sources said Katju faced opposition from PCI members when he suggested that a report by a team sent by him to look into the reasons for the recent riots in Faizabad be adopted by them.
Some members also insisted that this issue does not fall within the domain of the Press Council of India. They said the report should confine itself to the role of the media in the reporting of the riots. Some members also maintained that not just the Faizabad riots but other such events of the recent past should also be included in the report.
Members also objected to the adoption of another report on the issue of alleged harassment of media in Bihar under JD(U)-BJP rule. They said such reports have also come from states like Kerala, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, among other states.
These objections by members come against the backdrop of the war of words between Katju and the BJP over his criticism of the Gujarat and Bihar government where the saffron party is in power.
Some members also expressed their reservation over Katju making statements on political issues and leakage of such reports to the media even before they are discussed by PCI.
"Katju deferred the adoption of the two reports and also announced that such reports should not be shared with the press till PCI decides on their fate," the sources said.
Katju could not be reached for his version despite repeated calls and messages on his mobile.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate