`Kazmi has a right to get copies of remand papers`
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday said it was the fundamental right of journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, arrested for alleged role in the bomb attack on Israeli diplomat`s car, to be supplied with the copies of the remand papers which are not secret documents.
Additional Sessions Judge S S Rathi allowed Kazmi`s plea saying there is "no legal prohibition on supply of documents to the accused in judicial custody subject to the safeguards provided by the relevant statutes."
Terming as "illegal" and "fractious", the ASJ set aside the part of the May 1 order of the magisterial court where it was held that Kazmi cannot be supplied the copies of the remand papers at this stage and that the same may be supplied after the filing of the charge sheet.
The ASJ said it is his (Kazmi`s) fundamental right to be informed about the grounds and documents based on which his detention is being extended from time to time.
"Delhi High Court rules and orders clearly empower the accused to seek certified copies of any record at any stage," the judge said.
The ASJ said even constitutionally, by combined virtue of Article 14 (equality before law), 19 (Protection of certain rights regarding freedom of speech etc), 21(right to life) and 22 (protection against arrest and detention), an accused held in custody by the state does have a right to be treated and dealt with by the state in a transparent manner.
Kazmi had moved the court of ASJ seeking copies of the remand papers on basis of which his judicial custody was being extended since March 24.
The ASJ noted that the six remand papers sought by Kazmi did not contain the name and addresses of any witness and other information mentioned in them had already been published in several national dailies.
The ASJ also observed that neither the state nor the court of CMM on its own motion ever ordered for holding any proceedings in the case in camera.
The ASJ also rejected the objection of the investigating agency that Kazmi himself is a press reporter and the media was taking keen interest to cover every aspect of the case and if the remand papers are supplied to him, they would become public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly