Kejriwal duping people, should order probe into entire CWG: BJP
New Delhi: BJP leader Harsh Vardhan on Thursday accused Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal of "duping" the people of Delhi and "saving" former Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit by ordering a probe only into the street light purchase and not in the entire CWG scam.
Vardhan challenged Kejriwal to order a high-level inquiry in a stipulated time period against Dikshit and her government regarding "the 25,000 crore scam in the CommonWealth Games, instead of ordering an inquiry only on the street lamps to fool the people of the country."
"If his (Kejriwal`s) intentions are honest about punishing the guilty and Dikshit, why did he not recommend and demand a thorough and complete inquiry into the whole Commonwealth scam, to the LG, the Home Minister and the President of India?" Vardhan said.
He alleged that almost all the departments of the then Delhi government were involved in siphoning large amount of funds during the games that took place in October 2010, and "shared it amongst themselves".
"The then Chief Minister misused her office and position and kept the powers of the Finance Minister also under her. This was done to enable them to give out various tenders and contracts to companies of their choice from whom they could benefit. BJP had complained to the President, the Prime Minister and the Home Minister about it," he said.
Vardhan said the Prime Minister had even announced in Parliament that he would take strict action against the culprits, but no action was taken against the Sheila Dikshit government even after the Shunglu Committee gave detailed report against them, he said.
Seeking to take credit for the probe ordered today, Vardhan said the AAP government was being constantly pressurised by BJP, following which it ordered the ACB to investigate the street light scam from the entire CWG scam.
"By doing so, Kejriwal has tried to mislead the people...Under this scam, street lamps worth Rs 5000 were purchased for Rs 26,000," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list