Kejriwal out to destroy democratic principles: Cong MLA
New Delhi: Congress on Friday slammed Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) convener Arvind Kejriwal over his claims of getting the Janlokpal Bill passed if voted to power in Delhi, saying he had not only insulted the Constitution, but also lowered the dignity of the state Assembly.
"Kejriwal is out to destroy all democratic principles as he has initiated a disinformation campaign about his intention to hold an Assembly session at Ramlila Grounds on December 29 in the presence of a large number of people to pass the Janlokpal Bill," alleged Mukesh Sharma, Congress MLA and party spokesperson.
Sharma said he yesterday gave a notice against Kejriwal under Rule 66 of the Rules of Procedure of Business in the Delhi Assembly, alleging breach of privilege and contempt of the House.
"There has never been any occasion when a session of any legislature or Parliament was convened outside the precincts of the House.
"The Legislative Assembly of Delhi is no exception," said Sharma, adding, "it would be against the spirit and intent of the Constitution to perform the democratic process of law- making on an open ground, in the presence of thousands of spectators".
Sharma said he had urged the Delhi Assembly Speaker to take appropriate action in the matter so that people desist from making a mockery of state legislatures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details