Kejriwal out to destroy democratic principles: Cong MLA
New Delhi: Congress on Friday slammed Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) convener Arvind Kejriwal over his claims of getting the Janlokpal Bill passed if voted to power in Delhi, saying he had not only insulted the Constitution, but also lowered the dignity of the state Assembly.
"Kejriwal is out to destroy all democratic principles as he has initiated a disinformation campaign about his intention to hold an Assembly session at Ramlila Grounds on December 29 in the presence of a large number of people to pass the Janlokpal Bill," alleged Mukesh Sharma, Congress MLA and party spokesperson.
Sharma said he yesterday gave a notice against Kejriwal under Rule 66 of the Rules of Procedure of Business in the Delhi Assembly, alleging breach of privilege and contempt of the House.
"There has never been any occasion when a session of any legislature or Parliament was convened outside the precincts of the House.
"The Legislative Assembly of Delhi is no exception," said Sharma, adding, "it would be against the spirit and intent of the Constitution to perform the democratic process of law- making on an open ground, in the presence of thousands of spectators".
Sharma said he had urged the Delhi Assembly Speaker to take appropriate action in the matter so that people desist from making a mockery of state legislatures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand