Kejriwal should apologise for not sacking Bharti: Congress
New Delhi: Delhi Congress today demanded an "unconditional apology" from AAP leader and former chief minister Arvind Kejriwal for backing Somnath Bharti over the latter`s role in the midnight raid episode involving some women from Africa.
"Former law minister Bharti has been found guilty in the judicial inquiry into the midnight raid," alleged Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) President Arvinder Singh.
"Kejriwal should tender an unconditional apology for shielding Bharti from arrest in the case," Singh added in a release today.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung had ordered a probe into the incident which took place last month and involved allegations of Bharti having led a group of locals on a midnight raid on some African residents of Khirki Extension in south Delhi.
Meanwhile, Congress leader Mukesh Sharma said that the party also demands termination of Bharti`s Assembly membership.
"Congress will tomorrow pass a resolution during its `Pol Khol Abhiyan` in Jangpura seeking termination of Bharti`s Assembly membership," Sharma said. He added that the matter would also be taken up with the Delhi Assembly Speaker.
"The former AAP government wasted its time in saving (Bharti), who has been accused of misbehaving with women.
"An entire day`s proceedings in Delhi Assembly was spent on the Bharti issue, yet Kejriwal didn`t ask for his resignation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state